Friday, July 31, 2015
Wednesday, July 29, 2015
Monday, July 27, 2015
Today the new battery arrived! I immediately got it charging and then planned how I am going to put the power delivery system back together as I took it apart to hook up the main electricals to the external power. I also researched D-bus because we may use it to sync when the pi cams will take the two that make up the anaglyph. Tomorrow, I have a lot to do with the power delivery system and make sure the new battery will work. All the stats say that it should do quite nicely but I won't know for sure until I test it tomorrow.
Today I tinkered with the raspberry pi setup some more because the power supply had been heating up the step up converter yesterday. After hooking up the power supply in several spots with alligator clips, I realize that this was because I was pumping 5 volts into the step up converter meant convert from 3.7 volts to 5 volts. After I figured this out I hooked up the power supply above the step up converter and made sure the pis were working more than just powering up. After finding out they did, my day ended early when I had to the college and careers event at rit. Which I recommend to anyone who is even thinking about going to RIT.
Today we set up a model of most of the internal electronics of the camera using an external power source. The external power source we used was a variable power output unit. We dialed it in to 5 volts and both of the pis and the display screen worked perfectly. I also figured out how a step up converter works. It raises the voltage and lowers the current of electricity to maintain constant power and raise the voltage. This explained why the old battery wasn't working properly, because after the step up conversion it was pumping just over 1 amps of electricity. This is how the new battery is different from the old one. Theoretically it should have a maximum amperage of 4.6 or so amps after the step up conversion.
Friday, July 24, 2015
Today Professor Pow told me that the shipping on the replacement battery I selected was such that it probably would not arrive for a week and told me to look for something that we could get more easily. As a result I spent most of the day shopping online for a suitable replacement that was closer to home. What I found was that there are not that many suitable replacement to begin with and none that would get here more quickly. After learning this the hard way I told Professor Pow that we would just have to wait for the one I had picked out originally because it was the best replacement. After that I spent my time researching how to move files between the two Raspberry Pis.
David charged the battery yesterday, so today I set up the Raspberry Pis and other components for the camera, hooked up the power system with the battery. The setup was enough to power up the system for at least half an hour, but the amperage is to low from the current battery to power it effectively. Things such as the display screen being dim and not being able to type on the Raspberry Pis are symptoms of this problem. This lead to research into the battery and the purchase of a battery with a higher amperage output. After the time in the lab today we took a field trip to the Mees Observatory. The Observatory was really interesting and the view of the night sky was beautiful, and got better as the night went on. But mostly the trip was a really good forced bonding session between all of the interns. It was a great experience overall, five stars would suggest to a friend.
Monday, July 20, 2015
Today I took the proof of concept wiring and improved upon it. I shortened wires where possible as well as soldered a few conections that were being made by wires with alligator clips on each end. I also made the addition of a second micro usb connector to power the second Raspberry Pi. The day was going well until I made the realization that there wasn't enough charge in the battery to see if it could power both of the Raspberry Pis and the display screen.
Today I built a proof of concept of the majority of the electrical system. So far it works well enough to power one Raspberry Pi as well as the display screen. However, In its current form the power system is to large and bulky and I need to cut down on the amount of wiring. I also need to wire in the power for the second Raspberry pi.
Friday, July 17, 2015
RIT Center for Imaging Science
Abstract: Imaging Systems Development Lab (Pow)
July - August 2015
Wednesday, July 15, 2015
Monday, July 13, 2015
Thursday, July 9, 2015
Tuesday, July 7, 2015
Today we did some team building exercises in the morning at the red barn at rit. In the afternoon we worked in our groups and I spent more time working on the optimal lense seperation by taking pictures at different offsets, changing the color of the images and overlaying them with the image J software.
Monday, July 6, 2015
Day 1: Today we have worked on a starter group project making a slide show presentation that include who we were and a few image based tasks. After a pizza lunch we broke off into our groups. In my group (the imaging systems developement lab) we got to know each other and then made on our task lists and work breakdown plan as well as I began looking into the best distance to have between the lenses for the camera.